Tuesday 14 January 2014

Veg Box Number One

I have tried a veg box before and to be honest it was a bit of a fail.  It was from a local-ish farm shop and for weeks on end I got bunches of kale and pumpkins that I could do little with.  So, I stopped for ages and recently signed up with my local green grocers to recieve one of their boxes.  


The deal is £10 of vegetables and £5 of fruit and it's delivered to the house on a Monday, just after lunch time.  It has come from Clementine of Broughty Ferrywhich is a lovely shop that I could spend a lot of time and a lot of money in.  One day I might find the courage to go in with the camera and ask if I can take photos... Maybe.



This is box number one and what I received in it:



three apples
two pears
two plumbs
two oranges
three bananas
a pomegranate

a courgette
half a cuecumber
a beetroot
1kg potatoes
a cauliflower
300g mushrooms
one red onion
one white onion
100g fine green beans
one massive sweet potato
one leel
a quarter turnip
3 massive dirty carrots
one red bell pepper
10 cherry tomatoes on the vine
one yellow bell pepper

If I had bought this all in my local supermarket it would have cost me £17.50.  Actually, I say if I had bought it all, I couldn't if I'd tried as my local shop doesn't sell pomegranates, raw beetroot or plumbs.  So paying £15 for all of it was not only cheaper but I got some lovely things that I wouldn't have been able to get my hands on otherwise.  
Everything smells and looks delicious - what we have eaten so far has been lovely and Brian loved the look of one of the apples so much de adopted it as his very own.  This box worth won't keep up going for a week, we will need more apples, oranges and bananas but other than that vive la veg box!  More next week with produce box number two!  

No comments:

Post a Comment