Tuesday 14 January 2014

Lemon Hummus, Wraps and Carrot Sticks

Yes, it's hummus in a tea cup - what else does one serve hummus in?  Hummus is one of those things that I really enjoy to eat but had never made.  I have thought about it, but not actually done it.  Well... I have now!  




This was such an easy lunch to serve and pull together come lunch time, but making the hummous was not quick.  I used dried chick peas, in the name of trying to do things properly, but I shall not be doing that again.  By the time the peas have boiled and simmered for the time needed I think I used enough gas to justify buying tinned chickpeas!  So I have stocked up. I also found getting my hands on tahini a bit of a challenge and had to try three separate supermarkets, so don't give up hope if you can't find it!  Health food shops also stock it (well, most of 

I served this with, as you can see, carrot sticks and some wraps that had gone a bit past fresh, cut into bits and toasted under the grill.  These turned into the perfect hummus boats!

To make the hummus:

125g dried chick peas,
3 tablespoons of tahini,
2 tablespoons of olive oil,
one garlic clove,
the juice of two lemons,
a bay leaf and, 
water.

The night before you're wanting to make the hummus soak the chick peas in enough water to cover them, and leave them overnight.  

The next day drain them and rinse them well.  Put the chick peas and the bay leaf in a pan and bring to the boil.  Then reduce to a simmer for up to three hours - until you can push a fork happily through the peas.  Now drain the peas and keep the water.  

Into a blender place half of the peas, the tahini, the oil, the lemon juice and the mashed garlic.  Add the cooking liquor slowly till the mixture is quite smooth.  Now add the rest of the chickpeas and more of the liquid till you reach the consistency you like.  I made mine quite fine, but I think next time I will blend it less to get more bite.  

And that's what I did... but next time I think I shall add more lemon juice and maybe some chilli for Brian.  Maybe.  There are hundreds of variations to the recipe and I do fully intend to play with it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment