Saturday 4 January 2014

Tripoline Carbonara

Now, I've made this lunch related but this one could go in Tea, Dinner and even Supper.  I don't think I'd choose carbonara as Breakfast, but you never know!

I have always loved pasta, but spaghetti is a nightmare to eat, I am the messiest eater in the world and spag is my nemesis. My singing teacher as a teen was Italian and her Mum used to make me my tea if my parents were away and she made the only spaghetti that I could eat as it was so sticky and perfect - can I replicate this? No. So I went on a venture down the pasta isle in the supermarket and found Tripoline.  Tripoline is a ribbon pasta with one flared edge and one flat edge, it's easy to cook, easy to eat and found in your supermarket of choice (unless your local supermarket is the size of a large shoe like ours is).  Anyway... this is nothing special of a recipe, it's inspired by my singing teachers tiny little Italian Mama with a meat option borrowed from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.  Thanks chaps!


For two people you will need,


200ml double cream,
2 egg yolks,
150g 'long' pasta of choice,
100g grated italian hard cheese of choice,
Pepper,
Olive oil,
bacon or chorizo or similar
















Cook your pasta as normal. Meanwhile separate your eggs and throw the yolks in the cream, mix this through and season with pepper.  Now cook your meat of choice, I had some fridge chorizo on hand today, so that's what went in ours (recipe coming soon as I am not 100% happy with it yet).  Once the pasta is cooked, turn off the heat, drain the pasta and leave a little water in the pan - then add your eggy cream mix and stir stir stir.  Once it's all come together and the cream looks less opaque and more 'sticky', the add the meat.  Put the cheese on the top, add more pepper and serve!

This can be served with salad, lovely bread, garlic bread... any number of things but today Brian and I just put it in our faces and ate it with glee and happiness.  It might not look appealing, but it's quick, it's good and it's very satisfying.

So there we go, a classic, tasty meal that I imagine a lot of people could make happen with food you already have in the fridge, it costs less than your average supermarket packet or tub of sauce and you can make it in the time it takes to cook the pasta (and meanwhile you can make the salad or convince your husband that a slice if Christmas cake is an acceptable pudding at any time of day).  




No comments:

Post a Comment